Offering more than 80 bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degrees, our students learn from faculty who engage in cutting-edge research and serve the greater community. Our faculty are finding new ways to treat cancer, conducting HIV research, assisting in hurricane preparedness, and developing technology to help children with disabilities. There are many opportunities for you to become active in research that will lead you to an exciting career after graduation.
Our expertise ranges from conserving the Gulf of Mexico, at the second-largest marine institute in the country, to publishing national research on energy, sustainability and corporate social responsibility. We’re home to the largest, vertical-axis wind turbine installation in the nation, the first sportfish research center in the Western Gulf of Mexico, and an award-winning Oyster Shell Recycling Program.
• With life-like patient simulators in the nursing labs
• In the classroom of the Early Childhood Development Center
• On a world-class stage in the School of Arts, Media & Communication
• In oil spill cleanup exercises
• With tax-prep for community members through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program
The newly created Department of Undergraduate Studies (DUGS) is home to several programs that support undergraduate student success. Each year, we engage over 2,000 new freshmen students in our First Year Learning Communities Program (FYLCP). Our Honors program supports over 100 undergraduate students across our five Colleges. Through the Honors Program, students benefit from specialized seminars, rigorous learning experiences, and an innovative “Project of Excellence,” where they see first-hand examples of diverse scholarly research activity.
First-Year Learning Communities
Our award-winning, nationally recognized model utilizes small learning groups to encourage students to draw connections across different fields of study and apply those connections to the real world. Students develop their critical thinking skills and significant learning experience; clarify their personal values, goals and strengths; and develop their abilities to learn through collaboration.
Enhance your undergraduate experience by deepening your love of learning with:
• Faculty mentoring to ensure your path to a career or graduate school
• Distinctive library privileges
• Access to the Honors Study Room and Honors Housing Floor in Coral Hall at Miramar
• Specially designed classes that provide a challenging yet supportive academic environment
• Access to Honors Program Scholarships, including some for study abroad
• Sponsored travel to research conferences